Impromptu Time Trial

After a super busy weekend of track coaching and bike riding in New Hampshire, I was gradually and very slowly getting ready to go to work this morning.  I knew I didn’t have to be in early, plus I had no car (my son’s was in the shop so of course he had mine… not sure how that works) and I knew I would have to bike in.  I like biking to work, it’s one of my favorite things, but I had ridden 99 miles in the past two days, plus been in the sun all day coaching our conference championships,  so I was tired.

I was surprised to see rain when I woke up, not terrible, but enough to make the roads really sloppy.  I figured I deserved a morning off and was fiddling around with the meet results and plans for next year when all of a sudden I remembered, “I have a luncheon with the University president in 2 hours!”  Now, I live a minimum of 20 miles from school.  I say minimum because the sane and safe ways to go are more like 25 or 30 miles, but I CAN get there in 20.  I ran up the stairs, threw a skirt, sandals, and blouse in a waterproof bag, stuffed that in my back pack, and jumped on my cyclocross bike (having left my road bike in Ken’s car in New Hampshire).  I know I can get to school in an hour and 9 min. on my road bike, but that is tough work, and the cross bike just isn’t as fast with it’s nobby tires and lower gears.  But I hustled and the more I road, the more I got into the idea of breaking my record.  I took chances in traffic that I normally wouldn’t, I felt like a bike messenger in NYC as I swept through the left hand turns just outside the line of traffic, and cruised by the stopped cars at lights.  I got to the bridge (half way) in 35 minutes, hoped,  in vain, for a tail wind down 218 and hammered through every green light.  My heart monitor showed an average of 167 which is pretty high on a bike, and my final time was 1:07.  Not bad!  Only 18mph, but considering the puddles, the big tires, the head wind, and the traffic, I was happy with it.  All in all, a great workout which I never would have done if I didn’t suddenly realize the importance of getting to work in a hurry!  Best of all, my clothes stayed dry, I had 30 min. to shower and change and the luncheon was delicious.  They even prepared a special baked tofu that looked just like everyone elses chicken cordon bleu.

President Harrison laughed at my story, and all in all, it was a great time.


1 Comment »

  1. Al said

    Love it, Kathy! Its amazing what we can do (and have fun in the process), when our adrenaline is flowing, isn’t it? 🙂

    I bet you’re going to be VERY tired today, though, so my advice? Listen to your body and focus on active recovery and rest! Enjoyed the read! Thanks!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: